Pittsburg State University
Programs > Brochure
CISabroad Semester in Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Center for International Studies|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2019||10/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
|Language of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Housing Options:||Homestay|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Areas of Study:||Architecture, Business, Communications, Culture, Dance, Economics, Environmental Studies, Fine Arts, History, International Business, International Studies, Latin American Studies, Management, Marine Science, Philosophy, Photography, Political Science, Spanish, Tourism|
Originally founded in 1975, Universidad Veritas has become one of the most highly recognized private universities in all of Latin America. Known for its appeal to international students, Veritas has a student body that is incredibly diverse, as students from all over the globe come to study and be immersed in the Spanish language. Amid the student population of 1,500, over 300 are international students. Enjoy all this and more:
- Study alongside international students - Your fellow students will be coming from all over the world. Study and travel alongside them, while practicing Spanish with the local ticos.
- Amazing location - Costa Rica boasts a beautiful landscape and warm climate nearly year round. Enjoy being minutes from the capital (San Jose) and explore the mountain villages, beach towns, and parks.
- Choose your language - Practice your Spanish with locals and in class. Take classes in English as well. Costa Rica and your university will help you develop language skills in both English and Spanish.
Veritas offers a range of subjects from intensive Spanish (all levels) to Tropical Ecology to Business to Latin American design. A typical schedule for a study abroad student at Veritas consists of Spanish classes in the morning and electives in the afternoon over the course of a trimester or semester. Veritas offers three distinct academic tracks:
- Spanish Language Intensives: Students take four Spanish classes, covering grammar, conversation, and composition. All levels of Spanish offered.
- Language and Culture Exploration: Students take one or two courses in Spanish and one or two in English in the following areas: art and photography; environmental studies; history and politics; and international business.
- Direct Enroll: Enroll with Costa Rican students in architecture, design , and film courses. All course are taught in Spanish. Advanced Spanish-language ability required.
We will help you get settled with your host family and in the university upon your arrival. After a short orientation, where we introduce you to fellow students and show you around town, we will point out hot spots to visit. Our on-site staff will help you get comfortable in the environment, sign up for classes that pertain to your major, and navigate the city of San Jose. We will be there for you every step of the way to make this the experience of a lifetime.
- Give back to the local community with volunteer projects
- Take excursions to explore Costa Rica
- Cooking classes, sporting events, and dance classes available
- Live in the most environmentally diverse countries in the world
- Wide course selection available